Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Climbing Made Easier

I woke up yesterday morning ready to climb into the Appalachian Mountains.  I got a great breakfast at The Coffee Pot restaurant, right next to the RV park, and headed towards my climb.  As I headed upward, climbing was just as unpleasant as I remembered from my trip 2 years ago when we rode through Colorado and Wyoming.  As I continued to climb, it felt like things were getting worse.  I haven't done any real climbing on a bike in the last 2 years, so I just chalked it up to either not remembering how bad it can be, or just being out of shape.  I came around a curve and it appeared as though the percent grade decreased, but I was still cranking really hard to get up.  I hate to stop mid-climb (I'd prefer to make it to the top, then rest before enjoying the ride down) but I got to the point were I just couldn't go any further.  Upon dismounting from my bicycle, I realized that my rear tire must have developed a slow leak a while back, because now it was completely flat (at this point, I can hear my former cycling companion, Dustin, muttering "dumbass" under his breath).  It had to have happened very slowly, or I would have noticed. Anyway, I proceeded to replace the tube, re-inflate the tire, and continue on my way.  It's amazing what a difference a tire full of air can make!  And, yes Dustin, I did feel like a bit of a dumbass.

After making it to the top of that climb (about 1/3 of a mile later), I was officially in North Carolina.  It was mostly just rolling terrain after that.  I pedaled through a few small towns, but the one that stuck out was Hendersonville, NC.  They had a neat downtown area that kind of made me want to stop, but I knew that stopping just meant more time in the sun later.  I kept on going until I got to Asheville, NC.  I pulled off at a Starbucks to see if they had wireless internet access.  They do, but only if you have AT&T.  They will have regular wi-fi in July.  Until then, I'll keep looking for McDonald's.  At this particular coffee shop I got to talk to a man (unfortunately I don't remember his name) that had been a hiker back in the good ole days.  He hiked (in sections) from Florida to Nova Scotia, including the Appalachian Trail. He pointed out a bike shop across the way, so I hung out there for a bit.  One of the employees was preparing for a tour from the Atlantic to the Pacific, so she asked me all kinds of questions about gear and whatnot.  Another employee was very helpful in discussing which way I should head when I leave town to get to Tennessee.

After leaving the bike shop, I rode further into Asheville and found a McDonald's.  This particular McDonald's was having issues with their wireless.  I was trying to figure out where to stay that night, so long story short, I found out there were 2 Mennonite churches in town, so I called one (Mennonite Fellowship of Asheville), the interim pastor answered, fed me supper and found a home for me for the next two nights.  I had been interested in taking a day off here, and it has been great.  Larry and Jane have been two of the best hosts I person could ask for, and I'm not just saying that because of all the fresh peaches they fed me.  Their home has been a comfortable place to rest my weary bones and to wash some laundry somewhere other than in the shower with me.  Larry gave me a mini tour of town while we were out running some errands this afternoon.  Asheville passes my "Could I live here?" test.  They've got good bike shops, cars that are used to seeing bicycles on the road, and a little Mennonite contingency that would welcome some strange guy on a bike in, not just for one night, but a second as well.  Well done, Asheville.

Tomorrow I'm off towards Greeneville, TN.  Could be another rough one.  I'll be looking back at my tires a lot more this time.

8 comments:

  1. you know it is permissible to use your granny gear in the mountains. LHT's give you that option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck; I met you at Youngbloods in Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, you sold me two patch kits...Thanks for checkin' out the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah's parents live in Asheville and are pastors of the OTHER mennonite church there. I wish I would have known before today. I'm retarded. Sorry neal. I'm glad you found a good place to be though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed following your journey. Nice to know that you're meeting some very accommodating people. Sue Stuckey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Neal, friend of Tiff's here. Asheville is a beautiful place, you should check out a baseball game there if you can, great stadium. I've been following your blog with interest, maybe we'll get to ride a bit when you get to DC>

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Josiah: you can't give me any cycling advice until you finish all of RAGBRAI with your gear ON your bike.

    @Jeron: Yeah, it worked out. I had a great (short) time in Asheville.

    @fitzywatcher: Well, wasn't there long enough to catch a game, but I do want to go back to visit again. And I would love to have some cycling company near DC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffany told me about your journey. I find your blog posts very interesting. Good luck and keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete