Thursday, June 10, 2010

Two Days Off in Americus, GA

Well, I've taken two days off in Americus, Georgia, now and my body feels fully recuperated from the last week and a half.  I took my bicycle apart to clean it all up, and it turns out that the rear wheel bearings were in some rough shape.  I think it was from the day riding to Pass Christian, MS, when I got sandblasted by the gulf winds coming across the beach at me.  I got the rest of my bike cleaned up, but I had no way of taking apart the rear hub.  Honestly, I didn't think it would have gotten in there.  At any rate, I took the wheel in to the nearest bike shop (45 minutes away in Albany, GA), and they got it all cleaned up and ready to go.  It turns out it was a good thing I was waiting on some mail here in Americus.  If I hadn't gotten that hub cleaned up, I'm guessing that sand would have eaten my bearings in no time.

Should be back on the bike tomorrow morning headed north.  Next state line to cross: South Carolina.

(Pictured above: Alyssa Hostetler, Disaster Management graduate from Hesston and excellent breakfast chef
Pictured below: me playing with my computer at the coffee shop)

No comments:

Post a Comment