Sunday, June 13, 2010

Early Start, Early Finish

In response to the brutal heat and humidity out here, I got up at about 4:45am to get myself packed, fed, and on the road at about 6:30am (sunrise).  I cranked out about 54 miles before stopping in Royston, GA, for a bite to eat at Subway, where the clerks genuinely thought I was out of my mind when I told them where I had started for the day (Monroe, GA).  They haven't heard of bicycle touring in general.  They didn't know people rode more than a mile unless they were in the Tour de France or something.

Before getting there, I had to go through Athens, GA.  I've biked in a lot of different places (if you include my last trip out to Idaho), but I haven't been to very many places as hilly as the city of Athens.  Maybe my GPS is just trying to kill me and took me on the worst streets possible, but I think biking through Athens took me just as long as it took me to bike to Athens from Monroe.  I wish I had reset the data on my GPS, because it would be interesting to see what kinds of speeds I hit coming through that town.  I could have gotten a speeding ticket on some of those hills.  Then there's the obvious down side, if you go down, you have to come back up again.  I refused to shift into my lowest gear, but I probably could have used it.  When I was in Americus I boxed up some of my gear that I didn't think I would need for a while and sent it ahead to my sister Tiffany in DC, and after those hills in Athens, it's tempting to make another cut-back.

Anyway, after Athens and the Subway in Royston, I pedaled to Hart State Park, right on the Georgia side of the Georgia/South Carolina line.  I picked out a campsite and was done for the day by 1:00pm.  I set up the basics of my camp, then went to find a cold showers with my laundry.  I didn't want to bike back to town to find a laundromat, so I did my own in the shower.  Now it's hanging all over my camp site.  I have a hammock that packs down very small that my friend Travis gave me, so I hooked that up and had a short nap already, and now it's doubling as a clothes line.  I opened up my computer to just type something for the day and save it until I got internet access, but apparently the marina across the way has a pretty powerful router, so I'm online at a picnic table overlooking the lake. There are a couple of ducks about 30 feet away enjoying the shoreline.  Soon I'll probably make a big pot of refried beans and rice, and probably compliment the meal with some beef jerky and some dehydrated applesauce.  Sounds like a meal, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I like the eh at the end of your blog Neal. Good to stay in touch with ya as you journey through. Keep at it Champ! Your making good time.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete